This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, July 2

A profile of Chloe Misseldine by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

A lissome 5 feet 9 inches — and over 6 feet on pointe — Misseldine, at just 22, has a distinctive otherworldly magnetism. It was apparent the moment she joined A.B.T. Studio Company in 2018. A year later she became an apprentice at Ballet Theater and a member of its corps de ballet in 2021. She was promoted to soloist in 2022.

Iain Webb and Margaret Barbieri talk about Sarasota Ballet's London tour to Sarasota magazine.

Barbieri says two things really resonated with her during the tour. “We were very nervous, but at the end of the first performance, the audience was on their feet, so excited,” she recalls. “The dancers were incredible, and our audience was fantastic. There was also a moment out front, in the main house, when they were rehearsing for The Walk to the Paradise Garden ballet that, for me, was the first time sitting out front on the other side of the footlights. It was a slightly surreal feeling—‘What am I doing here?’ I was always on that stage.”

Students of The School at Jacob's Pillow Contemporary Ballet Ensemble perform at the festival.

Last Friday evening, the dancers in the Contemporary Ballet Performance Ensemble had the chance to show an audience what they had been learning, as all the dancers in the school’s programs get to do near the end of their time at the Pillow. The dancers seized the performance opportunity with all of their raw and wonderfully guileless and transparent youth. Note I am deliberately calling the performers dancers, and not students, because, even though they all have a way to go still, they are all—right now—beautiful, gifted dancers, each with their own clear individual voice. As noted in the performance program, many of them will be working in professional or pre-professional capacities with ballet and dance companies around the world following their Pillow experience.

The Joffrey Ballet's summer fundraiser brings in $1.9 million.

The event featured performance artists from Stage Factor dressed as nymphs, fairies and fish in tuxedos, creating a magical atmosphere. HMR Designs decorated the venue with abundant floral displays that extended into the outdoor space. Guests could pose for photos on an old-fashioned yard swing draped in wisteria or inside an oversized gilded portrait frame. Themed bites by Food For Thought were served on buffet tables adorned with flowers. One table featured a character lounging in a claw-foot bathtub wearing a laurel wreath and sipping wine.