This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Grégory Milan - choreographer for gymnastics

Fascinating article on Greguito, who has choregraphed Simone Biles' current floor routine.

Biles is still no great dancer (IMHO) but his choreography for the French Morgane Osyssek is lovely. I may be cheering Team France this Olympiad [my country doesn't have a full gymnastics team 🙂 ].

A belated thank-you, Petra, I missed this article, it's very good. I don't follow gymnastics much but I will look for Team France and Osyssek.

Yet Milan became convinced that dance was crucial to a gymnast’s overall quality of movement: “Dance classes help them understand their body, find stability, refine their contact with the floor.” At the World Champions Center, which doesn’t have a permanent dance coach, he had Biles and her teammates working on “more contemporary diagonals, walking, relaxing the body.”

“It’s not just about adding choreography to a routine,” he said. “Dance should come earlier in their training.”