This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Corsaire

I wonder where Ali dances his famous variation. In the garden of Seyid Pasha? And I also wonder what kind of decoration he has on his head, like a tiara? And why is it? He's a slave!

Meliss, from what I’ve seen Ali’s most famous dance is the pas de deux or pas de trois in the pirate’s grotto and he is wearing a feather which I thought was a sign that he was a slave.

Tom,

3 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Meliss, from what I’ve seen Ali’s most famous dance is the pas de deux or pas de trois in the pirate’s grotto and he is wearing a feather which I thought was a sign that he was a slave.

Tom,

Thank you for your answer. But what about this? 

I would have guessed that his bare chest is the indicator of his slavery and that the headdress is a greatly simplified turban, as also seen in some productions of La Bayadère. "Ali" is a character found neither in Byron, nor in the original ballet, but Vakhtang Chabukiani (below) may have wanted to indicate that if the Greek pirate Conrad had captured a slave, the latter probably would have been a Muslim. 

y.jpg

40 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

I would have guessed that his bare chest is the indicator of his slavery and that the headdress is a greatly simplified turban, as also seen in some productions of La Bayadère. "Ali" is a character found neither in Byron, nor in the original ballet, but Vakhtang Chabukiani (below) may have wanted to indicate that if the Greek pirate Conrad had captured a slave, the latter probably would have been a Muslim. 

y.jpg

Thank you. But what about that tiara on his head? qUBxnSVzEf8.jpg?size=564x619&quality=95&sign=945689e1afc943d3c40544891bc59bc9&type=album