This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, June 12

A story on John Lam's retirement by Colleen Bidwill in a hometown paper, The Marin Independent Journal.

Lam, who started ballet when he was 4 years old in Marin, has remained in touch with Felecia Gaston, the founder and executive director of Performing Stars of Marin, who has supported him from the beginning.

“I met him at the age of 4 when the Marin Ballet offered scholarships for low-income children through Performing Stars,” she says. “He was in the second cohort of offered scholarships for children in the Canal district. I knew from the first day of classes that John was fulfilling his dream of being a professional dancer. He actually fulfilled my dream, because ballet was not offered to me as a little Black girl growing up in segregated Georgia....."

A drunk driver gets 12 years for killing a Colorado Ballet musician and several others.

[Kresten Wolff] Thomsen was picking his two children up from school and was a few miles from home when the crash occurred. He was a composer, writer and musician who worked with the Colorado Ballet.

Charmaine Hunter is the new community engagement director of Sarasota Ballet.

As principal dancer with Dance Theatre of Harlem, Hunter was known for roles such as "The Firebird" and "Medea." While Hunter was still performing, she began working to provide programs for young people with little or no access to the arts. 

Toward that end, Hunter helped to launch Dancing Through Barriers, Dance Theatre of Harlem’s flagship outreach program in South Africa, before developing it for communities across the United States.