This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, May 25

A preview in brief of Golden State Ballet's final program of the season.

This end-of-season program brings together a trifecta of the most recognizable names in contemporary ballet: Jirí Kylián, NDT (SECHS TÄNZE); Jorma Elo (ONE/end/ONE), and Andrea Schermoly (STAND TO REASON).

A report on the English National Ballet's Emerging Dancer competition by Amanda Jennings for Bachtrack.

No wonder, then, that competitions such as Emerging Dancer engender bad cases of nerves in performance. Nerves are not just the cause of falling off a pirouette or mistiming a lift. They can make you feel as if your body has completely seized up and that you no longer recognise your own physique.......

In light of this, the ability to get up and carry on deserves respect, and all three participating couples in Emerging Dancer had not insignificant mishaps in the classical pas de deux from which they recovered with grace – an important move forward on their learning curve. Classical ballet is so hard! And hugely challenging pas de deux are selected.

Q&A with Wayne Sleep about his house.

I’ve always lived in London’s West End and South Kensington where everything was within reach, but I’ve never had a garden. And I thought I’d better get one before I kick the bucket.

I wouldn’t be able to afford central London with a big garden and I went straight for the only thing I saw advertised.

Everybody said I should look around more but I knew this was it.