This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, May 20

A review of New York City Ballet by Leigh Witchel for dancelog.nyc.

The pas de deux was more of the same, with every hip pop going POP! Both Gordon and Von Enck looked better apart than together. They were trying too hard and felt as if they weren’t dancing together even when they were. The pull-off at the end of their adagio that should have really pulled off didn’t go very far. When they were trying to be “modern,” it felt awkward.

Tamara Rojo is interviewed by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

And now with the company’s groundbreaking $60 million gift, Rojo can really dream big. She has the kind of carte blanche other artistic directors only dream of. “It’s an amazing gift,” Rojo said. “The first $10 million is to help us through the first two seasons. But the other will come slowly into our endowment. So it would take a little bit of time for it to kind of create the kind of revenue that enables creation regularly.”

Promotions at Philadelphia Ballet.

[Sydney] Dolan, who has been with Philadelphia Ballet since 2016, has steadily been promoted since beginning as a member of Philadelphia Ballet II and joining the Company as an apprentice in 2017. She quickly advanced to the corps de ballet for the 2018/2019 Season and was promoted to soloist during the 2019/2020 Season.

Edwaard Liang talks about his plans for Washington Ballet.

The Washington Ballet’s fourth artistic director — following Mary Day, who co-founded the school in 1944 and ran TWB as a professional company from 1976 to 1999; Septime Webre, artistic director from 1999 to 2016; and Julie Kent, from 2016 to 2023 — Liang said his job is to understand what will “touch and inspire D.C.”

An excerpt from Elise Paschen's "Heritage" in The New Yorker.

I was born in the month of the Blood Wolf Moon.
        My mother said icicles shook the trees
  as she and my father traipsed
     along the black sheet sidewalk
         to their convertible. Her timed contractions
stretched out, hours long, until almost midnight.
        After how many miscarriages.
  Hospital bedside, my aunt and uncle
     smiled over the crib. Or was that just
         a photograph? Tell me
about departure. Tell me
        how often she left the newborn, jetted
  away on Pan Am, tied up the ribbons
     of her satin toe shoes.