This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, May 13

A review of  Staatsballett Berlin by Katja Vaghi for Bachtrack.

Another favourite was Phoenicopterus by Dominik White Slavkovsky. Clearly along the lines of Ekman’s humour, treatment of themes and movement material, the piece substituted flamingos for swans — and here I had my epiphany: what would happen if we went beyond the swans of ballet and had ‘swan lakes’ with different birds? In Phoenicopterus: a boy in black (a toxic macho) fancies the white flamingo, the leader of the group; he manages to seduce her and destroy her.

A review of the Royal Ballet by Amanda Jennings for Bachtrack.

Double debuts in major classical ballets are not common occurrences, and when both debutants have already shown exceptional technical prowess, it is a privilege to be in attendance. I have been following the progress of Joseph Sissens and Mariko Sasaki with interest since they first arrived in The Royal Ballet, and neither has ever disappointed: would they continue that unblemished record in the very demanding roles of Siegfried and Odette-Odile in Swan Lake? I’m pleased to say the answer is yes, although as is only to be expected there is more to develop from both of them.

Mikhail Baryshnikov talks about the Baryshnikov Arts Center in Barron's.

How do you think that opportunities have changed for aspiring artists over the last decade

There’s never been decent economic support for artists or the arts in this country, so I don’t know that the last decade is any different, but that doesn’t stop artists from trying to express themselves—even when they know they’ll struggle.