This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fascinating ! — Beyoncé —  “Cowboy Carter”

Added: March 31 -- With all its musical brilliance and some lovely expressions of love, having gotten deeper into the lyrics of this album, I unfortunately have to say, that they are not consistent with what I was expecting and my enthusiasm must be put on hold. 

** Fascinating !  **

** One of the most important descriptions of American Popular Culture ever created ! **

As an all humanity, musical creation, it’s perhaps the finest since the Beatles.

The Beatles explored the Universe. Beyoncé’s “Cowboy Carter” explores what happens after we get up in the morning.

As an artistic creation, it’s an absolutely  brilliant one !  In essence, it combines American European descent ‘Country’ and American African descent ‘Rhythmic Soul.’ 

This article in the New York Times seems like as good an introduction as any.

“Beyoncé’s ‘Cowboy Carter’ Is Here, and It’s Much More Than Country”

“Yet “Cowboy Carter” is far broader than simply a country album. Beyoncé does a version of the Beatles’ “Blackbird” and, on the track “Ya Ya,” draws from Nancy Sinatra and the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations.” “Desert Eagle” is glistening funk, and the upbeat “Bodyguard” would not be out of place on a modern rock radio station. The album’s range suggests a broad essay on contemporary pop music, and on the nature of genre itself.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/29/arts/music/beyonce-cowboy-carter-released.html

“The album’s range suggests a broad essay on contemporary pop music,

** ....and on the nature of genre itself.” **

Excerpts from the entire album can be found here.

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kqKVNkEoBuxdRKUNUT2wye26Zxah3Tfu8

With all its brilliant exploration of the American popular landscape, what makes it ultimately worth listening to ?  For me, we can start with this from the very first song, "American Requiem."

"Can we stand for something?
Now is the time to face the wind
Now ain't the time to pretend
Now is the time to let love in"

Edited by Buddy
Sentence at top added
Posted (edited)

To add to the importance of this album, according to  Beyoncé, she started thinking about it five years ago and it’s nearly an hour and a quarter long, quite long, with 27 tracks.

I’d heard some mention, but it was the New York Times article from yesterday that got me to listen to it. The album was released in the United States Friday. I’ve now listened several times. There’s so much of great value and interest going on that it could take ages to grasp and thoroughly appreciate, let alone summarize.

Personal note — I’ve already mentioned the importance of the Beatles in comparison. If I had to chose a creative entity to represent my idealized world, it would be the Beatles. The territory that  Beyoncé covers barely touches on them or the cultural population that they represent, although she might very well be a part of it. Still, it’s interesting to note that the second song on the album is by them. It’s Paul McCartney’s “Black Bird.” Although it’s inclusion is primarily attributed to its being a civil rights song, it’s still a Beatles song. One characteristic of the Beatles is that they seldom made direct social comments. Their politics were very apparent, but seldom directly stated in their art. This is something that I, and I think many others, are comfortable with.

So, once again, I think that it’s quite significant that they were included as the second song in an album that covers rather different, but extremely worthwhile territory, which it does commendably. There’s so much of value and interest in her album. It’s an unusually great work of art and commentary, in my opinion.

Added: 

Although my idealized woman would be different and living in a different world, I do have to admire  Beyoncé’s sticking up for herself and her self worth in her rewrite of Dolly Parton’s “Jolene,” which is a response to a woman attracted to her husband.

“We've been deep in love for twenty years

I raised that man, I raised his kids

I know my man better than he knows himself”

Edited by Buddy
"Added" added
Posted (edited)

Thinking more about the Beatles’ influence on this album, I have to feel that it extends beyond the one Beatles' song. In my first post I cited lyrics such as these from the beginning song as being what gives value and substance to this great artistic accomplishment.

"Can we stand for something?

Now is the time to face the wind

Now ain't the time to pretend

Now is the time to let love in"

Love as the defining factor of humanity is very much a 1960’s cultural focal point and the Beatles were one of its primary spokesmen and symbols. To the extent that this exists in “Cowboy Carter” certainly adds a significant Beatles related humanism.

Edited by Buddy

This is an interesting and informative summation of the album by Mark Savage, Music correspondent, BBC News.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68686378

“Over 27 interlocking songs and interludes, Cowboy Carter throws a lasso around country's sonic signifiers, and spins them into something unique: Appalachian fiddles are spliced with pop melodies, and lap steel guitars underscore rap verses with speaker-crushing sub bass. That the genres overlap so seamlessly is evidence of Beyoncé's technical mastery, but also of her central thesis: That Nashville's marginalisation of outsiders, and black women in particular, weakens the music in the long run.

“And in one interlude, she juxtaposes the African-American spirituals that inspired country music (the pacifist anthem Down By The Riverside) with swing fiddle tunes that inspired black pioneers of rock and roll (Chuck Berry's Maybellene, based on the traditional American song Ida Red).

“If this all sounds dry and academic, don't be put off. Cowboy Carter is a blast, with hooky, memorable songs that are theatrical, mournful, playful, lovestruck, whimsical and carnal - often at the same time.”

”….often at the same time” is one of the amazing truths.

I would definitely agree that the album is a toe tapping, head bobbing experience, but -- there’s a great deal more, as well.

Posted (edited)

“Sixteen dollars, workin' all day

Ain't got time to waste, I got art to make

I got love to create on this holy night

They won't dim my light, all these years I fight”

(16 Carriages)

“16 Carriages,” was one of the two singles to be released.

"The Lyrics of "16 Carriages" by Beyoncé revolves around themes of sacrifice, resilience, and determination in the pursuit of dreams and success. The lyrics depict the journey of a person, likely Beyoncé herself, who had to leave behind their innocence and home at a young age to chase their ambitions. Despite facing hardships, including being away from loved ones and feeling overwhelmed, the protagonist remains steadfast in their pursuit, fueled by the desire to leave a lasting legacy and prove themselves. The song highlights the sacrifices made along the way and the emotional toll of striving for greatness."

https://www.lyricsrolls.com/16-carriages-lyrics-beyonce.html

There are two elements in this remarkable and well intentioned album that might deserve some further ‘reflection.’ One is religion. The other, probably coming from a totally different direction, would be how does this album relate to the American gun culture and things associated with it ?

If you’re interested in the complete lyrics, along with interpretations of them, you can look here:

https://www.lyricsrolls.com/album/cowboy-carter-2024-lyrics-beyonce.html

https://genius.com/albums/Beyonce/Cowboy-carter

Edited by Buddy
Posted (edited)

I guess that I have to stop right here, because of my initial super enthusiasm for this album, and say that along with all its musical brilliance and some touching expressions of love, there’s a definite ‘Hard Edge.’

It could work great for some, but I’ll see how this works for me as I look at more of the lyrics, but — I’ll say for now that my initial enthusiasm is on hold.

Edited by Buddy