This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

La Perle (The Pearl) Marius Petipa

Does anyone have a video of The Pearl?

La Perle (The Pearl) («Жемчужина» or «Прелестная жемчужина»; Zhemchuzhina or Prelestnaya Zhemchuzhina) (Pearl or Pretty Pearl) is a ballet-divertissement in one act, with libretto and choreography by Marius Petipa and music by Riccardo Drigo.

Welcome to Ballet Alert @alynedamas.  According to the Petipa Society website created by Amy Growcott the ballet was not preserved except, via notation, for one variation:

"The Pearl was performed often throughout the early 1900s and was given its final performance in 1910, after which, it fell into obscurity. Only one variation from The Pearl was notated in the Stepanov notation method and this variation is part of the Sergeyev Collection....The only number from Drigo’s score that is used today is a pizzicato variation, which is used by Yuri Burlaka in his Rose Pas de quatre as the variation for the goddess, Aurora."

Here is a link to the website's entry on the ballet--It does not include the scholarly sources for the entry. You can also find a bit of information on the website itself about its creator. (I apologize if this website was already known to you, but from your question I thought perhaps it was not.)

https://petipasociety.com/the-pearl/

Edited by Drew
On 3/12/2024 at 3:20 AM, Drew said:

Welcome to Ballet Alert @alynedamas.  According to the Petipa Society website created by Amy Growcott the ballet was not preserved except, via notation, for one variation:

"The Pearl was performed often throughout the early 1900s and was given its final performance in 1910, after which, it fell into obscurity. Only one variation from The Pearl was notated in the Stepanov notation method and this variation is part of the Sergeyev Collection....The only number from Drigo’s score that is used today is a pizzicato variation, which is used by Yuri Burlaka in his Rose Pas de quatre as the variation for the goddess, Aurora."

Here is a link to the website's entry on the ballet--It does not include the scholarly sources for the entry. You can also find a bit of information on the website itself about its creator. (I apologize if this website was already known to you, but from your question I thought perhaps it was not.)

https://petipasociety.com/the-pearl/

Thank you very much! My teacher wanted me to do research on this ballet. I'm sad to know it was lost over time...