This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, April 28

dirac

A review of San Francisco Ballet in "Romeo and Juliet" by Jim Munson for Broadway World.

SFB is offering no less than five different pairings in the lead roles over the course of the run, and I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them given the depth of talent within the company. I was unable to attend opening night, but the cast I saw the following afternoon was so strong it made any notion of first vs. second or third cast irrelevant. Nearly every dancer onstage was doing superlative work.

A preview of the Birmingham Royal Ballet's "Black Sabbath: the Ballet."

The show where pirouettes meet Paranoid is set to open in September at Birmingham Hippodrome in the band's home city, with further dates in Plymouth and London to be be announced.

Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi said the pairing was a "great idea" but he had initially thought "how on earth are they going to do that"?

Tony Iommi comments.

"I'm looking at our music differently now with this [the ballet], because it is being interpreted in a different way. It's still got the basic things, but then it did have in the different orchestral things coming in. And then I never thought for a minute we would have people dancing to BLACK SABBATH and 'War Pigs' and 'Iron Man'. But here we are, you know."

An interview with Harrison Ball by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

Harrison Ball, a principal at New York City Ballet, has tears in his toes. His sesamoid bone is crushed and, he said, dying. There is bone shard sticking into a tendon in his foot. His arthritis is so bad that his doctor told him it was comparable to that of an elderly person. He can’t do his job if he can’t pirouette.

So on Sunday, he’s leaving his job. He’s barely 30.

Orlando Ballet celebrates its fiftieth anniversary this fall.

Also on the list: A brand-new version of “The Nutcracker” in honor of the milestone year, works by George Balanchine and Paul Taylor, and the American premiere of a ballet based on that notorious lover and scoundrel, Casanova.

Milwaukee Ballet presents "Peter Pan."

The production was originally scheduled for the 2019-20 Milwaukee Ballet season, but the performances were delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the Ballet's rendition – a smash success previously in 2010 and 2012 – will making its long-awaited comeback beginning next month.

A review of Alice Robb's "Don't Think, Dear" by Pippa Bailey in The New Statesman.

Don’t Think Dear – the title is a saying of Balanchine’s – is part memoir, part investigation, and enthralling whether or not you have any knowledge of ballet. Robb weaves her own story with those of her classmates at SAB, only one of whom turned professional, and with some of the biggest stars of American ballet. Robb won a place at SAB on her third attempt, a few days after 9/11, when she was nine. Ballet became her identity, her way of being a girl, and, even after she was expelled (her teachers considered her “without a future”), she “couldn’t unlearn [its] values”: discipline, ritual, submission, forbearance, even masochism.