This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Studio Company

ABT Studio Company — Rocks !   😊

Palm Desert, California — March 22

12 Dancers, ages 16-21

The evening could be described as — Shapes and Moves — High Class and Excitement

A very fine evening of excellent artistry and talent. It started with George Balanchine’s Tchaikovsky Pas De Deux and Kenneth MacMillan’s Concerto (Pas de Deux) and then, with the exception of Raymonda (Suite), moved Contemporary with works by Daniel Ulbricht, Gemma Bond, Houston Thomas, Aleisha Walker and Hope Boykin.

Houston Thomas’ work is described as “….the expression and expansion of the classical ballet language. The ballet explores the full extent of classical ballet technique while finding new approaches to steps we already know. Movements, positions and rules are either followed or broken, steps are stretched or expanded.” Someone much more familiar with ballet technique than I am would probably have a lot of fun with this. One thing that I thought that I saw was a spin in fifth foot position. Actually there seemed to be a lot of similar excitement and interest throughout all the works (Raymonda, also very good, excepted).

An evening of very fine dance agility and prowess. A lot of new, emerging and exciting talent. I really enjoyed it. So did the rest of the audience.     

Edited by Buddy

Just a note that ABT put up this video featuring Stella Abrera, Susan Jaffe and Sascha Radetsky on YouTube and it is expiring on December 3rd:  

Panelists: Sascha Radetsky, Susan Jaffe, and Stella Abrera Performances by ABT Studio Company Join the conversation with panelists Susan Jaffe, Stella Abrera, and Sascha Radetsky as they discuss @AmericanBalletTheatre Studio Company and their dedication to developing the next generation of extraordinary dance talents. The evening will feature live performances by the Company’s emerging stars, highlighting excerpts from their current repertoire, including The Seasons by Alexi Ratmansky, Don Quixote, and an upcoming premiere by Jamar Roberts. This event will be livestreamed and available on-demand Nov 20 to Dec 3.