This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

National Ballet of Canada 2023-2024 season

Karen Kain is now a bit more obscured on the site, though I notice that there is still an incorrect caption on the last photo at the bottom of her page. Kain was not photographed in front of the Bolshoi Theatre; she was photographed in front of the Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Theatre, which is where the company performed at Diana Vishneva's festival.

https://national.ballet.ca/about-us/meet-us/leadership-and-artistic-staff/karen-kain/

I don't like the new photographs of the dancers on coloured backgrounds. On some, for example, Chelsy Meiss, the face isn't visible, others have ugly dark shadows across their faces. But dancers with one leg cut off look worst of all, and there are many such photos. Photographs on the site should be complimentary and show dancers in the most flattering light. 

Apparently, some dancers could not come to the photo session and were left with their old pictures. They look the best.

The photographs are horrendous, and the square format is a terrible idea.

luiz-anselmo-dancer-hero-square-l-on-ful

It's unconscionable that in many photos dancers' legs are cut off, although online the company does that kind of thing routinely.

tirion-law-dancer-hero-square-l2.jpg

alexandra-macdonald-dancer-hero-square-l

And if a dancer was photographed jumping, there has to be some indication of how high. It's unacceptable to present a discombobulated body in space.

jeanine-haller-dancer-hero-square-l.jpg

Two for one :wacko::

ross-allen-dancer-hero-square-l-on-full-

Edited by volcanohunter
added photos

“The brand isn’t just a logo,” Hope said. “It’s a philosophy that has to represent our company and culture, our value system and how we want to move forward as a classical ballet company. We haven’t changed to the point of being unrecognizable. But we have changed in terms of our repertoire, the diversity of our collaborators and our accessibility to a wider audience. The new brand reflects that. There’s space for people to ask questions and engage with us in a way that we need to be listening to right now, in 2024.”

As long as performance tickets are as expensive as they are now, the company isn't going to be accessible to a "wider audience." :whistling:

On top of that, every advertising campaign will now be accompanied by hokey slogans:

the national ballet of canada weaves two love stories

the national ballet of canada questions what is fair in love and society

the national ballet of canada asks what you would do for love?

the national ballet of canada presents a story of love, betrayal, and forgiveness

They make every plot sound trite and adolescent. Are they aiming for the disposable income of 13-year-olds?

Even better:

the national ballet of canada challenges assumptions

the national ballet of canada explores new dimensions

the national ballet of canada pushes beyond expectations

That makes three different ballets sound exactly the same.

This formula is going to become tiresome very quickly. I know I dread the thought of being subjected to "the national ballet of canada [verb]..." for the next 15 years.

the national ballet of canada embraces the cinematic

Ooooh :dry:

I think I hate pretty much everything about this rebranding.

"I see us being at the forefront of creativity, and I think this brand is really going to help us get there." (Hope Muir)

So, not via choreography, or dancing, or commissioned music, or even stage design, but thanks to an advertising campaign?!!

Edited by volcanohunter
formatting