This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, March 1

dirac

Eric Underwood talks about making his stage acting debut and life after ballet.

Many ballet dancers are so consumed by their vocation that the idea of leaving the profession is anathema. “I’m not like that at all,” says Underwood, with characteristic radiant cheeriness. “I got everything I wanted out of it. I just felt like I needed to enrich myself outside something I knew.”

La Scala Ballet presents "Jewels."

‘Rubies’ is bubbly and witty, and fully embodies the collaboration between Stravinsky and Balanchine. Maria Celeste Losa will be the solo dancer, a role that will also be played by Nicoletta Manni (18 and 20 March) and Alice Mariani (24 March). In the solo couple Virna Toppi with Claudio Coviello, then Agnese Di Clemente with Domenico Di Cristo (18 and 20 March), Alessandra Vassallo with Rinaldo Venuti (23 March). ‘Diamonds’ evokes the order and grandeur of Imperial Russia and the Mariinsky Theater, where Balanchine grew artistically. The main couple will shine with Nicoletta Manni and Timofej Andrijashenko, with Maria Celeste Losa and Navrin Turnbull (18 and 20 March), Martina Arduino and Nicola Del Freo (24 March).

Sarah Van Patten will retire from San Francisco Ballet.

During the pandemic, Van Patten founded and led Tahoe Dance Camp, an opportunity for dancers to continue working creatively while following COVID-19 safety protocols. The company then gave a debut performance featuring work by leading choreographers like Dwight Rhoden and Andrea Schermoly at the Classical Tahoe festival on Lake Tahoe in the summer of 2021.