This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, February 12

dirac

Stephanie Selby, the subject of Jill Krementz's "A Very Young Dancer" has died at age 56.

Despite the joy she found in dance, she was not always enamored of the dance life. She found the training tedious. She often got headaches, she had excessive unexcused absences, and she would make rude gestures toward teachers she felt were pushing her too hard. Her star turn with City Ballet onstage counted for naught in the classroom. The summer before Stephanie turned 13, the school asked her to withdraw. She was devastated.

A 2017 article on the ballet background of figure skater Nathan Chen is republished following his gold medal victory at the Olympic Games.

Chen began taking daily classes in ballet -- as many as six per week, Christie said -- to help his skating. But he did not see it the way most skaters do, as just another box to check, along with sessions to work on strength, flexibility and endurance.

"I did ballet because I really enjoyed it," Chen said.

A TV news preview of Ballet Austin in "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

Love is in the air and comedy is all around as Ballet Austin presents "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at the Long Center. Good Day Austin anchor Amanda Salinas spoke with Artistic Director Stephen Mills about the company's Valentine's Day production.

Noelani Pantastico gives her final performance this weekend.

“Because I had good training — at the school that I’m actually going to teach at after this — that set me up for success,” she said. “I got into a company when I was around 16 years old, which is kind of young, maybe not nowadays but it was back then. I just went into it with gusto, and I was very fiery when I was younger. I didn’t really care about anything else around me, I just wanted to dance.”

Hundreds of Melbourne dads prepare for a ballet performance with their daughters this weekend.

Melbourne father of five Brad Harris is one of hundreds of dads putting on a suit and tie this weekend, to step onstage with his daughter for a ballet performance.

'I get emotional on stage, just to have that one moment with Grace that she'll remember for the rest of her life ... our kids grow up very quickly,' he told AAP.