This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Live Costa Mesa, California

I just watched the video of the ABT live performances at the Segerstrom Center in Costa Mesa, California from about a week ago.  

I briefly glanced at all the works but the one that I stuck with to the end was

INDESTRUCTIBLE LIGHT

Choreography by Darrell Grand Moultrie

Music by Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Neal Hefti, and Billy Strayhorn

This was simply one of those new works that you say when it's finished, " That was good ! "

The music list speaks for itself and the dancers didn't look like ballet dancers trying to do something else. They were genuinely jazzy, cool, fit the music just fine and did a darn good job. The choreography does justice to the music. It's fun, clever, virtuoso and believable.

Here's a description of the program which can be viewed until May 26 for $25. 

https://mailchi.mp/abt/dont-miss-abts-special-events-and-exclusive-offers-784125?e=376617b4e6

Edited by Buddy

I watched "Indestructible Light" over and over last night and enjoyed it very much. There are other performances that look quite good, but I haven't had a chance to view them completely.

Still it's "Indestructible Light" that continues to capture my imagination. It's among the first truly 'hip' and truly jazz ballets that I've ever seen, along with some of London's Ballet Black's works.

Edited by Buddy

INDESTRUCTIBLE LIGHT

Stilled glued to it.

This might be the last night that it can be seen on the internet.

For me, it's an instant ABT Classic.

It's really nice when something different really works. This does. I hope that it'll become part of the repertoire and I can't imagine a better cast. There's a lot of Cool Stuff here.

Choreography by Darrell Grand Moultrie

Dancers: Betsy McBride, Jacob Clerico, Anabel Katsnelson, Melvin Lawovi, Hannah Marshall, Duncan McIlwaine, Scout Forsythe, Joseph Markey

Music by Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Neal Hefti, and Billy Strayhorn
Songs: “Battle Royal,” “Little Pony,” “Tricky’s Licks,” and “The Star-Crossed Lovers”

Edited by Buddy