This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, February 22

dirac

A review of San Francisco Ballet by Heather Desaulniers for DanceTabs.

Last week, there was another first, one I had been waiting for: the first mixed repertory program of 2021. I’m a fan of variety. Even if a particular one-act isn’t my cup of tea, these mixed bills always offer a breadth of choreographic vision while simultaneously highlighting the depth of talent within the company. And there’s usually one world premiere in the lot. Program 2 – Let’s Begin At The End, Colorforms and Sandpaper Ballet – more than lived up to my expectations. There was drama, joy, whimsy. A great night at the ballet, viewed from home of course.

Van Cleef & Arpels create watches inspired by Balanchine's "Jewels."

It is the most remarkable yet of Van Cleef’s poetic complications. At the press of a gem-set button, the curtain parts, a frieze of ballerinas moves before the eyes, while silvery notes of music emerge from between the diamonds that cover the case. But at only 20 seconds, the magical performance belies the decade of thought, care, ingenuity, trial and error that has gone into the making of this tiny ballet on the wrist.

The Joffrey Ballet presents "Bolero" online.

Until now, the Joffrey has avoided going online for its performances. Logistically, staging a full-length concert is too difficult to do digitally — and “it would break the bank,” Wheater says. For the time being, the Joffrey is focusing on a handful of new works to be released this spring as smaller-scale digital premieres, starting with Bolero. On April 30, Joffrey rehearsal director Nicolas Blanc debuts his latest work, Under the Trees’ Voices. The company’s main goal is to stay afloat financially — which it’s managed so far through significant budget cuts and a $12 million fundraising campaign — and come back with a full 2021–22 season at the Lyric Opera House starting this fall.