This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, October 23

dirac

New York City Ballet will return to live performance in the fall of 2021.

After their long layoff, the company’s dancers will have more time than usual to train so that they can safely meet the rigors of performing again regularly. “They can’t just go from being at home trying to stay somewhat fit to being on onstage performing our rep at the highest level,” Mr. Stafford said. “It would be irresponsible of us to ask them to do that and it would lead to injuries.”

Related.

In a meeting on Thursday, the company’s board of directors decided to cancel the upcoming winter and spring seasons amid ongoing heath concerns and government coronavirus regulations, City Ballet said.

A review of NY Fall for Dance's first program by Marina Harss for DanceTabs.

It can be difficult to get excited about digital content these days when everything is digital. I confess the announcement of a virtual Fall for Dance did not fill me with glee. But tonight, during the first of two programs, I was reminded: good choreography and good dancers can transcend the screen. The two new works that premiered there, one by Jamar Roberts and the other by Christopher Wheeldon, might easily be translated to a live performance – in fact, I hope they will be when things return to normal, as they will one day.