This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, May 8

dirac

Miami City Ballet dancers talk about trying to stay in shape at home.

"It's a little challenging to motivate yourself to get up and do something. I decided to take my time because, especially in the beginning, we didn't know how long this was going to take," says Renan Cerdeiro, another MCB principal. "I'm not putting so much pressure on myself on dancing every day or trying to stay in this perfect shape. There are days that I don't do ballet, I just do a workout or some yoga, or even just long walks along the beach to take my mind off of all the craziness."

Dancer Charlene Gehm MacDougal reminisces about her mother.

My last five years of dance, I was saving every penny. I wasn’t like some scrounge that ran around without proper clothing, but you can’t dance forever, and I always wanted to go to college. At 38, I went to N.Y.U. and on to Columbia for a master’s degree. So “the big D” [for "discipline"] came through in that area, too.

United Arts of Central Florida raises a record amount for local arts organizations.

The total of $3,188,603 is nearly $1 million more than the advocacy agency raised last year on behalf of the region’s best-known groups, such as Enzian, the Orlando Science Center, Orlando Ballet and the Garden Theatre, as well as more than 60 smaller organizations. The amount includes more than $500,000 in new donations — which will unlock a further $500,000 matching donation to United Arts from Orange County. That matching grant, from the Tourist Development Tax on hotel stays, was agreed upon last fall.