This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

CONCERTO BAROCCO

undated, and except for Ruthanna Boris, unidentified photo of what is almost certainly Balanchine's CONCERTO BAROCCO with the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo (clearly stamped on the back of the yellowing print).

this ballet was first given by BRdMC in 1945, tho' this photo might be from a later year.

the NYPL has photos of Boris and Nicholas Magallanes in this work, but, this is not NM. i wonder if any BT members with links to the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo have any thoughts about the partner's idenitiy.

post-848-1277047906_thumb.jpg

undated, and except for Ruthanna Boris, unidentified photo of what is almost certainly Balanchine's CONCERTO BAROCCO with the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo (clearly stamped on the back of the yellowing print).

this ballet was first given by BRdMC in 1945, tho' this photo might be from a later year.

the NYPL has photos of Boris and Nicholas Magallanes in this work, but, this is not NM. i wonder if any BT members with links to the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo have any thoughts about the partner's idenitiy.

It may be too early for him (the 40's), but to me it looks somewhat like Duncan Noble.

a dancer has written to suggest the date for the CONCERTO BAROCCO photo as somewhere between 1948 and 1951, with identifications of two of the dancers in the backgroud as follows:

"The two girls on the left are Valrene Tweedie and Shirley Haynes."

a colleague acquainted with F. Franklin has passed along FF's suggestion, w/o really studying the photo itself, that the identity of Boris's partner might be a Cuban dancer named Luis Trapaga:

the following link was attached to the email giving FF's guess:

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/cdview?pi=nla.pic-an13711129-2

it would seem that if the CB partner is LT he lost a good deal of hair from '47 to the time of the photo, but that's not impossible to believe.

it would seem that if the CB partner is LT he lost a good deal of hair from '47 to the time of the photo, but that's not impossible to believe.
In my experience (alas :crying: ), the hair in the center of the hairline remains as the hair at the temples recede. This often happens rather early, which seems to have been the case with Noble, who has a little peninsula of hair at the center of his forehead.

Trapaga's nose -- straight, pointed -- seems wrong, too.

it looks as if Chiapuris's suggestion here is accurate.

a colleague who knows R. Lindgren has confirmed after sending RL a scan of the photo that dancer partnering Boris is Duncan Noble. he also notes that his wife, Sonia Tyven, is in the photo.