This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

TFO, Ontario's Francophone educational channel, will broadcast Nureyev's production of The Nutcracker, performed by the Paris Opera Ballet.

Sunday, December 20 at 8:00 p.m. ET

Friday, December 25 at 7:00 p.m. ET

Saturday, December 26 at 11:00 a.m. ET

http://www.tfo.org/emissions/?bpn=GP024039&genre=2

TFO is my favourite Canadian channel. On most Sunday evenings it broadcasts operas, filmed primarily in France or Switzerland, and every Christmas it comes through with a ballet. If only the network would do it more often. Some 40 weeks of opera compared with one or two ballets annually isn't exactly an equitable arrangement!

The good news is that the ballet was shown in its entirety. When this was filmed two years ago there was a great deal of consternation about the fact that French television opted to air a "digest" version of the ballet. The Nutcracker is short enough as it is; you wouldn't think there'd be much to cut. On the other hand, given the general weirdness of Nureyev's version, if a Nutcracker production could stand cutting, I suppose this would be it.

I am a little surprised that this performance hasn't been released on DVD yet. There haven't been any other Nutcracker releases this year, so I can't help thinking that market conditions would have been favourable.