This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The NYPL catalogue lists two entries:

La bayadère [excerpts] [videorecording] / [presented by] the Kirov Ballet.

Filmed onstage, location not identified, possibly in the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Choreography probably by Vakhtang Chabukiani, Vladimir Ponomarev, and others after Marius Petipa.

Danced by the Kirov Ballet.

Film found among Rudolf Nureyev's possessions after his death in January 1993. It is uncertain whether Nureyev himself appears in this film. He first danced the leading male role of Solor in Russia in 1959, and also performed it in Paris in May 1961, before his defection. He may also have acquired this film for research purposes ; his own full-length version of the ballet was first performed by the Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris in October 1992.

Excerpts from Act I, scene in the Rajah's palace: Djampé, performed by female ensemble ; pas de deux of Nikiya and a slave (choreographed by Konstantin Sergeev) -- Act II, wedding of Gamzatti and Solor: entrance of Solor (?) on an elephant ; brief footage of various divertissements ; dance of the Golden God [also called the Bronze Idol] (choreographed by Nikolai Zubkovskii) ; Danse Manu, performed by a woman with a water jug and two children ; dance for a Gypsy (?) woman and male ensemble ; pas de deux of Solor and Gamzatti (with other couples) ; variations of Solor and Gamzatti ; Nikiya's solo with the basket of flowers -- Act IV, pas de deux with scarf by Nikiya and Solor.

and

La bayadère. Act IV [videorecording] / [presented by] the Royal Ballet ; choreography by Marius Petipa, revised and produced by Rudolf Nureyev ; music by Ludwig MinkusOriginally filmed on 8mm.

Rudolf Nureyev Collection.

Audio begins before image appears.

Filmed in dress rehearsal onstage at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, in 1963, by the Film Service of Edmée Wood. Costumes, Philip Prowse.Danced by Margot Fonteyn, Rudolf Nureyev and artists of the Royal Ballet. Margot Fonteyn (Nikiya) ; Rudolf Nureyev (Solor) ; Merle Park, Monica Mason, Lynn Seymour (the shadows) ; and corps de ballet. Added piano soundtrack played by Anthony Twiner (?).

Thank you for the question and for the answer. I wish Rudolf's foundation would release a compilation DVD of all the films in their possession of Rudolf dancing, similar to the Alla Scala DVD - only with English commentary and longer film clips. It's a shame that all of those historical dance films are only in the NYPL.

Fandeballet, did you see Rudolf in Bayadere? I wished I had, but always missed it.

Hi toeprints! Never saw Rudi in Bayadere :) But, I have seen pictures of him in Bayadere, and I always thought that with his elevation and abilities in the 60's, would be a great, even definitive Solor! Was shocked that the BBC did not televise Rudi's prod. with the Royal Ballet of the Shades Act.

I agree with you - one of my friends in the UK did see him dance Solor - she said that the entire audience just gasped when he soared, and they didn't think he was ever going to land! I am stunned that the BBC didn't film his Bayadere - I was told that the BBC did not retain most ballet performances; I guess history wasn't on their minds. It really is awful to think about.