This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

International Day of Dance

At least in Europe today has been proclaimed International Day of Dance. Well, now it is past midnight here so it was yesterday.

Swedish TV really outdid themselves for a change and sent "Jewels" - all three parts, Emeralds, Rubies and Diamonds. The work was danced by the Paris Opera Ballet and it was absolutely marvelous. I have never seen even short bits of Jewels before so I have nothing to compare with, but I was stunned.

It would be nice to hear from you who have seen both the original American versions with the NYCB and the Paris version. How do they compare? :dry::clapping::clapping:

I suppose this is what Balanchine meant when he said his ballets would look different after he was gone. I am glad that you saw the complete ballet, Pamela---I guess from my perspective it was better than not seeing it. If you really want to see what 'Diamonds' should look like, you can still find a copy of Farrell's performance at Amazon.

Thanks, Bart, for making me aware of that thread. I have seen it briefly long ago - now I read all 11 pages of it. Well, cant have much of an opinion here now, can I? As I have never seen the original, I did on the one hand agree with some of the posters on some details, but I still remain very impressed. Can just imagine the original live, good Lord - yet, this POB offering will be a very treasured item in my DVD collection.

I really do think that this is a work that will survive for as long as there is ballet. (That cant be said about a lot of what we are treated to today :thumbsup: )