This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Julio Bocca

Giselle05

With Julio's retirement impending in just a few days, I thought we might dedicate a thread to him, and write about his most memorable performances, what you will miss, and anything else you might want to say about this incredible dancer.

When Bocca burst upon the dance scene in 1985 after his Gold medal win in Moscow, he was immediately hailed as the "Argentine heir of Nureyev and Baryshnikov" and was an overnight sensation. He will undoubtedly forever be considered one of the greatest male dancers of this era, up there with Baryshnikov, Vasiliev, Bruhn, Bujones. Aside from his explosive virtuosity, he is truly one of the greatest artists.

He developed this artistry over his illustrious twenty-year career with ABT, and I hope many of you will contribute your memories of him during this time.

:dunno:

Some questions for Ballet Alert:

I looked on Julio's "sito official" (Spanish only) and saw that he is not entirely dropping classical roles after his ABT farewell on June 22nd. He is dancing "Swan Lake" or a portion of it in Cuba at the Havana Festival. There is the "Don Quixote PDD" with Ballet Argentino in Barcelona. He is also dancing a "Manon" in October of 2006 - I don't know who his ballerina is but it might be Alessandra Ferri. If it is, then this coming Thursday won't be their final collaboration. He is totally retiring on December 22, 2007 - but is that really it? One of the benefits of "Boccatango" and "Ballet Argentino" was that it gave him another genre to make the transition away from being a classical ballet virtuoso. He could go on as long as Baryshnikov has in modern dance and tango. It is odd to imagine him taking himself off of the stage completely.

I looked on Julio's "sito official" (Spanish only) and saw that he is not entirely dropping classical roles after his ABT farewell on June 22nd. He is dancing "Swan Lake" or a portion of it in Cuba at the Havana Festival. There is the "Don Quixote PDD" with Ballet Argentino in Barcelona. He is also dancing a "Manon" in October of 2006 - I don't know who his ballerina is but it might be Alessandra Ferri. If it is, then this coming Thursday won't be their final collaboration. He is totally retiring on December 22, 2007 - but is that really it? One of the benefits of "Boccatango" and "Ballet Argentino" was that it gave him another genre to make the transition away from being a classical ballet virtuoso. He could go on as long as Baryshnikov has in modern dance and tango. It is odd to imagine him taking himself off of the stage completely.

FauxPas, you're correct- Julio is in fact dancing Manon with Alessandra in October- if you scroll down on his home page, you will see that it says: Julio Bocca, Alessandra Ferri, e Ballet Nacional de Chile. If you click on "Mas Informacion", it gives you a synopsis of Manon. So Thursday night, while still incredibly emotional, will not be AS heartbreaking as it could have been, for it is not their last performance together. :dunno: This appeared on his website just a few weeks ago.

As for completely stopping in December of 2007, that is really the case. He has said in numerous recent interviews that he intends to stop dancing completely because of the toll dancing takes on his body, and he wants to explore other things- like buying a boat and sailing around the world. :rolleyes: He also wants to dedicate himself to his company Ballet Argentino, and also later on, to coaching at ABT.

An article in today's NY Sun: The Last Bocca Farewell

Though critics and fellow dancers say his brazen technical skills show no signs of weakening and, at 39, he is arguably young for retirement even by ballet standards, Mr. Bocca says he simply is tired. And his dynamic career needs no embellishment to sound exhausting. ...

In 1990 he founded his own company, Ballet Argentino,which,like his beloved Argentinean World Cup team, sells-out both stadiums and merchandise when it performs in its home country.He also set up a dance school and a foundation to help manage his ventures. His investments have already produced serious talents, including current ABT sibling team Herman and Erica Cornejo. ...

Mr. Bocca, though, projects no hesitations about retiring. He expressed his desire to return to ABT to coach younger dancers in the company. After all, he says, he finally has a green card, and might as well take advantage of his newfound legality.He plans to develop an integrated educational and performing arts school in Argentina.

I remember a season-ending performance of Don Quixote that was Paloma Herrera's debut as Kitri. Each was born in Buenos Aires. Bocca took care of his very young partner with engulfing devotion, directing every moment of his attention toward her, adoring her, making us see only her. Latin Fireworks never burned hotter at ABT. His gift to her was such a triumph that the Sunday Times, in its prewrite just before the next season began, featured that performance, front page (Arts and Leisure Section), with photo. Paloma was later to repeat the favor by baptizing young Angel Corella's Basil.

What a danseur. What a noble heart.

If you remember the Millenium TV special in which each hour featured a country's midnight hour, Argentina's celebration was centered on Julio and his company, his gift to Argentina.

This season the ABT had a wonderful evening called Latin Nights and it featured all ABT Hispanic principals of which Julio is one of them. The program was Le Corsaire and Julio danced with Paloma as Medoa. The Latin passion was sizzling that night and this was Julio's last season. I think Paloma is usually paired with Gomes, but this pairing certainly was marvelous.

I am not a seasoned ballet goer, attending but 5 performances each season, but I thought he was amazing with Paloma that night... and she with him. And tonight we see Manon... It will be amazing I am sure...

When he started with ABT, I thought his finishes were a bit rough to my liking. But, what an exciting dancer he is!!!!

BUT, I always appreciated the PASSION he brought to the stage. I will also not forget, for a man his size, what an incredible partner he is! He always brought out something from his ballerina that no one else would.

I will also remember that he was the only one of note for several years, when you talked about male principle dancing at ABT in the late 80s and early 90s.

Like Fonteyn & Nureyev and other great partnerships, his dancing with Ferri, will go down in ballet history as one of the all time great pairings.

I do hope that he will become an AD somewhere, he has so much to give. Esp. his passion!!!!! :wink::toot::)

I do hope that he will become an AD somewhere, he has so much to give. Esp. his passion!!!!!

In the Time Out interview from Monday's links:

I read on a ballet chat board that you would take over ABT someday.

Oh, okay. [Laughs] Well, not now, that’s for sure. I don’t want any big responsibilities. In the very long future, it’s not a bad idea. I would love to do that.

Mr. Bocca's site now gives November 1-11 as his USA Farewell Tour dates, but I couldn't find any mention of which cities. Today's thread begun by ngitanjali on Everything Else Ballet makes reference (I think) to the Penn State performance on November 9. Tickets are already being sold for the November 11 performance at Brooklyn College, and via Google I see that there will be a November 1 performance in Houston. Have the other locales been announced?

I looked on Julio's "sitio official" (Spanish only) and saw that he is not entirely dropping classical roles after his ABT farewell on June 22nd. He is dancing "Swan Lake" or a portion of it in Cuba at the Havana Festival. .

I have fond memories of Bocca dancing in Havana during the 90's, particulary his incredible "Diana and Acteon". He, indeed, danced his farewell to the cuban public at the XX International Havana Ballet Festival. Here is the comment made by Margaret Willis on the event from "Ballet Magazine"

"Showing off a different form of seduction was the Argentinean heart-throb Julio Bocca back at the festival again with his tango team. Most importantly however was his farewell performance in ‘Swan Lake’ in which, twenty years ago at the 10th Festival, he had made his debut. His warmth and added touches brought a bit more sense to this production. When the curtains finally closed, there was a short film of Bocca’s achievements—astounding—and then his Siegfried took one last bow alone. "

Margaret Willis