This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Coming Out Parties

Helene

The reviews in the NYCB forum of Wendy Whelan's performances as The Novice in Robbins' The Cage, reminded me that it was the role in which I saw Whelan in her debut and saw she had "IT": the IT realized, not just the potential to become a great dancer.

What roles have you seen dancers in that made you realize they were there, and that their potential had been realized?

I saw Alexandra Ansanelli in the same role in the Spring '99 season. I'd seen her only once before, January '98 in third movement Symphony in C. She was charmingly coltish there, but as the Novice I think she made quite a few people gasp that afternoon.

When I saw Ashley Bouder in Sleeping Beauty (second performance) I knew she was not only a super young technician but a deeply moving, complete artist, more moving in fact than all the established Auroras that I've ever seen. The first performance proved she could dance it, but the second showed her ability to grow as an artist. Ever since, in any new role, I've learned to see her in sequential performances. "Two Bouders" is much more than twice as good.