This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kschessinska's variation from Bayadere & Pharaoh

Im reading Coryne Hall's magnificent bio of Kschessinska's life called "Imperial Dancer: Mathilde Kschessinska and the Romanovs".

There were quite a few times where Hall mentions Kschessinska inserting her favorite variation from "Pharoah's Daughter" into various performances - I am fascinated........if anyone knows, what variation is this? I was thinking that maybe it was Aspicia's variation from the 'under-water' scene, but I really dont know (that variation seems just right for the extravagant Mme. Kschessinska!)

Also, there is the 1900 revival of "La Bayadere" for which Kschessinska added a variation for herself for the Grand Pas d'action of the last act. I was wondering if anyone knew what variation this is, and why it never turned up in the reconstruction? She was fond of this variation as well.......

Solor, isnt this a truly wonderful book? I think it is great.

Well, in those days, ballerinas had very free hands, it seems, to insert the solos they liked in whatever ballet they liked. If it was appropriate or not did not matter. It seemed that they could repeat their bravura stuff whereever they wanted, if it fitted in with the rest was not so important. Weird indeed, if a ballerina was good at fouettees she could squeeze them into any performance - thankfully it couldnt be done today. :beg: