This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

La Fille mal Gardee

I recently bought a Pas de Deux CD with the "La Fille mal Gardee" Pas de Deux on it, though it wasn't the La Fille mal Gardee (Ashton and Herold [arr: Lanchberry]) that I was familiar with. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (if it isn't move it) but what are the differences between Herold's and Hertel's La Fille mal Gardee? How do they differ musically? Different storylines? When was the Hertel one created? Different characters? Has the Hertel one survived?

to help some sorting out: ivor guest's study of LA FILLE MAL GARDEE, w/ careful looks at the dauberval, etc. and other early french productions of FILLE plus the russian version, and ashton's, is a good place to start identifying the hertel and herold elements in the scoring.

th bolshoi ballet school i believe still dances a version of FILLE in a staging that looks back to gorsky.

ballet du rhine brought its semi-historical-restoration of the 18th c. version of the ballet some time back. i recall THE DANCING TIMES published some pieces on this production by ivo camer.

i made some related attempts to sort through the musical aspects of lanchbery's score for ashton in my FILLE chapter for BALLET 101.

otherwise there are likely readers here who have done their own research and might provide some of related information and facts.