This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Municipal de Lima

Don Q and La Sylphide were done by a local company: Ballet Municipal de Lima. We have two companies here in Lima: Ballet Municipal and Ballet Nacional. I haven't seen BN for a while now, but I got to see BM three times this year. They did La Bayadere in April and then Don Q and La Sylphide in July. In case you're interested, their website is

Ballet Municipal de Lima

Don Q was a treat. The dancing was good, and it was done to live music. The company went on tour to Ecuador earlier this year, with Don Q, and afterwards they did 2 more performances in Lima, this time with the Orquesta Sinfonica de Guayaquil. I dragged 4 people from work with me and they all loved it. A couple of them are actually planning on going to La Sylphide tomorrow!

I hadn't seen La Sylphide in a very long time and I think BM did a wonderful job. The choreography is by Mario Galizzi on the original Bournonville one. Diana Silva was a very lyrical Sylph last Sunday. She's technically strong and that allowed her to just dance...and dance she did! Antonino Risica did a good interpretation of James, he was also very clean. And Giovanni Meza was excellent as Madge, very powerful performance! I may actually go back to see a different cast tomorrow with some friends.

As for plans for the "Fall" (Spring down here), BM is doing Swan Lake. I don't know anything about the other company yet. They also did Don Q this July, only they don't perform the full length version, but the suite, and I just couldn't find the time to go see their production.

Thanks for the great report, ignacio_20.

The company's repertoire of full-lengths and "fragmentos" is huge. It was interesting to see names very familiar here: Balanchine (Tchaikosvsky Pas de Deux), Bujones, Alonso, and Gamonet (active in Miami) as well as others with pan-Latin-American connections.

You mentioned that the company went to Guayquil. For next season they mention only performances in Lima. Do they travel out of the country on a regular basis? Or in the rest of Peru?

You caught me there! I was out of the country for a while (came back this year)so I'm not completely familiar with the company's activities. I do know though that they hadn't gone abroad for a while, at least as a whole. The company was very happy with the tour and also with the fact that they were dancing to live music here in Lima...something that hadn't been possible in a very long time. I'm not quite sure of what's coming next. I think some company members are scheduled to perform in Trujillo, Peru and then in Colombia (I read this in their program), but I'll ask around to get some more info about it.