This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nureyev on BT for Dancers

bart

Alexandra has introduced a fascinating thread on Ballet Talk for Dancers.

Here's the Llink

Alexandra has written a wonderful essay as well as providing internet links to other sources. This is an education and then some!

I was especially intriged by her suggestion that Pavlova and Nureyev were unique among 20th century dancers in their influence on ballet and especially the ballet audience. Sometimes it's sad how narrow, really, the cultural impact of great dancers has generally been -- outside the ballet world. Nureyev was certainly an exception.

I have a number of memories of Nureyev. What are yours?

Thanks for linking to that, bart -- I would appreciate it if we'd keep the discussion on this board and not there. That forum is intended for dance students and their parents. Here, everyone can participate.

I'd also say that it's not my suggestion that Pavlova and Nureyev are unique in spreading ballet to new audiences -- you'll read that in many books and articles. (I'm going to do Pavlova next. I did Nureyev first because the idea for the forum on BT4D came because I showed a film of Nureyev to one of my summer classes last week and none of the younger children had ever heard of him.)

The web site http://www.nureyev.com has an excellent biography and lots of photos.

I have a number of memories of Nureyev.  What are yours?

I saw him a fair number of times, so I have lots of memories, mostly good, but a few not so happy ones of his latest years.

But I guess the memory

I have of being impressed most was of his dancing of the Le Corsair pdd with Fonteyn in NYC 1969.

I was pretty young so I can't claim to remember that many of the details, but overall it was extremely exciting.

As they say, I was impressed!

Richard