This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Collection

I have a pretty amazing ballet collection that I have accumulated over the years (thanks in large degree to my dear Mom Jane). Books, souvenir programs, dance magazines (we're talking from the 50's on!)...I know about the SF Performing Arts Archives (I just donated 5 original drawings by the founder, Russell Hartley). Is there anywhere else that anyone knows of that would be willing to accept donations to add to an archival collection? Thanks....

Thanks, treefrog...I am from San Francisco, so some of the programs are from performances of major companies at the War Memorial Opera House. Does this make a difference for archival collections...that they want material specific to their location? Most of these performances in SF were a part of national tours of the Bolshoi, Kirov, etc. I have souvenir books from Ballet Russe, etc., that would have been sold at all locations for national tours. Thanks, again, for your input...

P.S. One of my main teachers of my youth, Alan Howard, was from the Chicago area. He passed away in 2003 and I'm certain he must have donated his collection somewhere in that area. I wonder if it was where you suggested?

Edited by Gina Ness

"Thanks, treefrog...I am from San Francisco, "

Point of info., for those who may not be aware of the existence of the San Francisco Performing Arts Library and Museum (www.sfpalm.org)--it is definitely worth a visit!!! I assume, Gina, that you've already given them first crack at your collection (aside from the Hartley drawings)? I'd also suggest universities in the area, as well as contacting San Francisco Ballet. Frequently companies have some archival holdings, as well.

"...so some of the programs are from performances of major companies at the War Memorial Opera House. Does this make a difference for archival collections...that they want material specific to their location? "

Not always, but a local emphasis is obvious for many smaller collections.

If you are not particularly interested in keeping the collection intact, there is always eBay. (Librarians love eBay!!!)

"P.S. One of my main teachers of my youth, Alan Howard, was from the Chicago area. He passed away in 2003 and I'm certain he must have donated his collection somewhere in that area. I wonder if it was where you suggested?"

I would imagine either the Newbery Library, Chicago Public, or a college which would have the wherewithal to store and preserve the collection---not an easy feat in this current climate of electronic information.....

Thanks, Juliet...I don't need to keep the collection intact. I just want things to go where I really feel they will be appreciated and utilized...and I do think that your comment about the "information age" is really true...didn't they throw out all sorts of books from the SF Library when it went to its new home? Kind of shocking...

While I understand that you'll probably want to keep the collection in the SF area, Gina, you might also want to ask the Dance Collection at the New York Public Library at Lincoln Center about specific items. It's possible that their collection is lacking in material from your area, and if so I think they'd be interested in those things they don't have.