This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Veronika Part in 1999 New Criterion

kfw

Because I find the best dance writing not only educational but transporting, I like to prepare for viewing performances by reading up, and rereading up, on the ballets and the dancers. So in anticipation of ABT’s Swan Lake with Veronika Part this weekend I’m posting this link to a piece by New Criterion critic Laura Jacobs with very brief but pricelessly intriguing remarks about Part. They’re in the final two paragraphs.

You yourself started a thread about this article when it came out :) (And I was glad you did, I went and bought the hard copy as it was not online).  There are excerpts in the original thread:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...topic=17804&hl=

Ballet Review has been very good about Part  :shake:  It's too bad the magazine does not have an online archive.

Thanks, Dale, but that was actually another article which is unfortunately not yet in the online archives. But I'm puzzled about Ballet Review. I began subscribing in '93 and I believe I have every issue but one since, yet I just now checked their tables of contents for Part, the Kirov, and ABT, and found all of one sentence (her '99 Terpsichore was pert. Yes, it was, flirtatious. Someone, I think it might have been you, compared that Apollo to The Judgement of Paris!).

Oh, yeah. The one about her Swan Lake with the Kirov. It's a very good article, in my opinion. Very interesting. I found Part compelling in both the Kirov and ABT versions of Swan Lake, but the Kirov production is better and, therefore, it came across much stronger for me (I don't like the cut "4th" act by McKenzie and the white act pas de deux isn't as good as other versions).

There is a review of Part's Lilac Fairy at the Petersburg premiere of Vikharev's Beauty by Joel Lobenthal in the Spring 2000 issue of Ballet Review.

There is an article on Part, Dumchenko & Vishneva by Don Daniels in the Fall 1999 issue.

There is a review of Part in the Kirov's June 2000 London season by Lobenthal in the Winter 2000 issue.

There is an extensive discussion of Part with ABT by Daniels in the current, Winter 2004 issue.