This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ballet conferences

Hello!

Sorry if I arrange my question not in right topic.

I'm a new member and I don't know exactly where in this forum I must ask my question.

I would like to find information about different ballet conferences which will take place in summer 2004 in Europe. It will be a big marvel if something like a schedule of such conferences existing!

Maybe you could give me some recommendation where I can find it?

Thank you a lot!

Hello, Yulia!

I hope some of our posters will be able to help.

You might keep checking Ballet-Tanz (a site that's in both German and English). Here's a link to the English pages:

http://www.ballet-tanz.de/en/start.html

It looks as though they're preparing a section on Summer Festivals, though it's not yet active.

Are you interested in scholarly conferences, or performance festivals? I think there will be schedules of festivals published; it will be more difficult to find out about meetings and conferences, I'm afraid.

Thank you Alexandra for your information.

Yes, I mean meetings and scholarly conferences for professionals more than performance festivals. But scholarly conferences may be the components of such events as festivals (of course also very interesting to me). So I don't lose the hope!

I don't know if you know this already, but there is going to be a Balanchine conference in St. Petersburg the weekend of June 5th. It is being arranged by the Balanchine Foundation here, and several Russian and American speakers will be there--I don't know anything about tickets (since I am not going!), but from what I hear, it should be very interesting. There will be films, too.

Iulia,

THere's a conference in June/July you might be interested in, though it's modern dance, mostly, not ballet, in Silesian Poland, that' I've attended and found VERY interesting in the past. THe Communists suppressed modern dance, and the direscor of the Silesian Dance Theater (Jacek Luminski) has been concerned to re-profeseionalize the art and has held simultaneously a dance festival and a professional/scholarly conference....

You might want to look into it.... COntact Slaski Teatr Danca, Bytom, Poland

Thank you for your responses!

Cargill, yes, I hear about the Balanchine conference in St. Petersburg. It will be very interesting but unfortunately I can’t be there. But I was in Moscow in March and saw the premiere of Balanchine’s ballets. In spite of many exacting reports about a specific “translation” of Balanchine heritage by the artists of Bolshoy Theatre I’ve got bright impressions from the style of the great choreographer. I liked Zaharova, Filin and Aleksandrova. They had agreeable manner for the “clear dance” of Balanchine and didn’t use private emotions like others did (the result of the classical ballets with their questionless “meanings”).

Paul, I find contacts with the Silesian Dance Theatre: http://www.stt.art.pl/

It will be the XI Annual International Contemporary Dance Conference and Performance Festival, Bytom, June 27nd - July 10th, 2004. Many workshops and seminars.

I think it would be great if those who took part (or will take part) in such events will find time and share their most bright impressions