This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kitri's "fan" variation - Gorsky or Petipa?

Hi

I need to know whether Kitri's variation (III act Don Q), the one danced with the fan, not the one with the passes, was choreographed by Gorsky or by Petipa? (I need the info to put in in the credits for my next performance)

Thanks so much

Silvy

i did that variation for an SI audition tape...i did the petipa version.

isnt the only fan variation of kitri in the third act the one with the passes?

i watched the dvd of don q of Paris opera ballet for help. it says that it is by petipa.

someone more knowleadgable will probably confirm

I think that all we know today of Don Q is filtered through Gorsky, just as all we know for sure of Giselle is filtered through Petipa. Proving what's by whom would be a major dissection for a dance historian. One thing is for sure, though, the fan variation was made popular by Anna Pavlova.

Hmmm. So what is the verdict for the printed program? Who should one credit if doing the Kitri variation "with the fan." And what is proper form for crediting the original choreographer if the local teacher has made adjustments for the dancer's skill level?

My daugher is performing the Kitri Fan Variation (some modified version, I suspect) at our Spring Recital - I cannot really ask her teacher as his English is not exactly stellar and *I* am in charge of the printed program..

sigh.. can anyone help or suggest a format for the program?

thanks