This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Creating a "star"

Here is a bit of wisdom our teacher recently shared with us: pirouettes are to dance as a trill is to music.

If it lasts for more than a few counts, except in specific climactic cases (as in Swan Lake), it gets rather boring. If there is a trick every few measures, it becomes repetetive and dull. There has to be a melody and harmony in every art. I am very glad to have a teacher who refuses to succumb to many people's desire to see virtuosos and prodigies. In none of our performances, save for the sugarplum fairy done by our guest artists, are there any fouettes. I have noticed in the students also-the younger students fawn over the naturals, the ones who can turn three or four pirouettes every time and have beautiful arabesques, but the older students know that one must have control over their pirouettes and the strength to reach, hold, and extend an arabesque. This seems to be much of the problem. Younger students, some older, too, get into a 'star' mentality when they see television shows and competitions, and they sacrifice every bit of technique in order to get the extensions and fouettes and such. Teachers see their students becoming products they can market, instead of artists whose work must be cared for and nurtured. I know this is not the way in many ballet schools, and certainly not in mine (of which I am very proud), but that is what happens sometimes when people compete, instead of simply enjoying the art.

Just my bit of opinion.