This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

on to something?

Guest petiteanise

Guest petiteanise

Perhaps its only me but I can't help notice that some of the young dancers out there today seem so...dead if you will. Even in the classroom I watch my peers and they seem so stoic, so lifeless, they execute the moves beatifully, somewhat gracefully but alot of grace, I think, comes from how much emotion you put into the dance. There are some dancers whose jetes may not be very grande, extensions may not be very good, and may not look like the "ideal" ballerina but they are better to watch then any ABT dancer whose moves look so rehearsed because they LOVE the art of dance. They can climb the ranks as high as they want with their trained moves but it adds up to nothing when they don't honsetly love what they do. You may say that "well if they made it in ABT then they must love it" but that was just an example...I think you know what I am trying to say. Do you think I'm just to picky or am I on to something?

I not sure if it is picky but I feel the same way. I am so disappointed to see dancers who look like they are only going through the motions. Maybe they are tired from performances, over trained I don't know, sometimes they look like their body is on stage but their mind is elsewhere. I too would like to see some emotion, passion and joy in their dancing. However I think they do love dancing but something else is happening to prevent them expressing that love.

I totally agree. I think any dancer who just 'does' the steps and doesn't emote doesn't do much for the audience. it's purdy much just a waste of their time. i love watching dancers who, even if they 'suck,' they LOVE 2 dance and u can see it through their dancing. it's the only way to go. i mean, if u don't love to dance, then maybe it's not your thing. i dunno. maybe im just weird,or, like u say, picky, but id rather see dancers who aren't perfect but who really love to do what they're doing.

Dancerscheese, those are good thoughts, but I just want to ask you to be careful of one thing: we discourage chatroom or cyber-shorthand here. The use of "u" for "you" and "b4" for "before" and such like make it tough for some people for whom English is a second (or third) language, so standard spelling, capitalization, and punctuation is to be preferred. Otherwise, we have a hard enough time convincing the ADULTS to do it right!;)