This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tanaquil LeClercq's Cookbook

Mme. Hermine

I suppose neither of these books had Balanchine’s Mallomar recipe, the one where, according to Tanniquil LeClerq, he simply stuck Mallomar cookies in the broiler, then hid the evidence from dinner guests! Perhaps the Kennedy Center ought to try this. Mallomar de Balanchine? That ought to sell – at least until everyone’s tried it or figured out that yes, Mallomar refers to the cookies!

Thanks to everyone who typed up recipes or noted the books and their availability. And thanks to everyone else for not snapping up the Gold and Fizdale books before I could get one!

I just found this thread and wanted to add to it, since I have been the proud owner of this cookbook since 1969. I purchased it never realizing how special it would be to me now. I think it cost $5.

I bought it because I was at a fundraising function at the State Theater and the NYCB dancers, including Mr. B., were obligated to show themselves. I suddenly realized I needed something for them to sign! I had bought a poster for Jewels, but only had Mr. B., Jacques D'Amboise and Kay Mazzo sign it. I didn't think it appropriate for those not in Jewels to do so. Hence, the cookbook purchase.

I collected many signatures inside the front cover, including Alexandra Danilova's, Mr. B's and Tanaquil LeClercq's, who was wheeling around the balcony lobby in her wheelchair.

Had I not been a shy 22 yr. old then, I would have accosted, er, approached many more dancers. If I only had had the nerve I have today.....