This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nureyev in "Swine Lake"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 11:23 AM

A fellow balletalerter had given me this tape as a wonderful gift a while back - a good case of the flu means I finally got the time to watch it.

I only saw Nureyev once on stage, when the POB came here around '87. It was a treat to see him closer to his physical prime. I checked on the NYPL website to find out who his partner was in "Swine Lake" - it was Graham Fletcher of the Royal Ballet, who must have been small, he played Kolya in A Month in the Country.

There's really only a small amount of dancing in the show, but I was struck by Nureyev's charisma; I also forgot how handsome he was. I could empathize with Miss Piggy in the sauna number (she nearly corners him, he barely escapes with his towel, all to "Baby, it's Cold Outside".) Funny how charisma is a gift of its own. It didn't take any dancing for me to know he could hold a stage.

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 11:53 AM

ah, yes,....

"Maybe I'M overdressed!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):