This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nureyev in "Swine Lake"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 11:23 AM

A fellow balletalerter had given me this tape as a wonderful gift a while back - a good case of the flu means I finally got the time to watch it.

I only saw Nureyev once on stage, when the POB came here around '87. It was a treat to see him closer to his physical prime. I checked on the NYPL website to find out who his partner was in "Swine Lake" - it was Graham Fletcher of the Royal Ballet, who must have been small, he played Kolya in A Month in the Country.

There's really only a small amount of dancing in the show, but I was struck by Nureyev's charisma; I also forgot how handsome he was. I could empathize with Miss Piggy in the sauna number (she nearly corners him, he barely escapes with his towel, all to "Baby, it's Cold Outside".) Funny how charisma is a gift of its own. It didn't take any dancing for me to know he could hold a stage.

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 11:53 AM

ah, yes,....

"Maybe I'M overdressed!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):