This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ballet dvds!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Poppiedancer

Poppiedancer

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 12:08 AM

Hi,

Does any one know any good ballet DVDs?

I mean, both story ones like Centerstage and actual ballets like Coppelia and workouts like the New York Ballet one.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also any links...........

Thanks!

Love
Em

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 04:15 AM

I have the Royal Ballet's Coppelia on DVD. It is from a live performance in Feb. of 2000, with Leanne Benjamin and Carlos Acosta. I think it is lovely!

I also have ABT's Giselle with Eric Bruhn and Carla Fracci. The beautiful and elegant Toni Lander is Myrtha. However, this DVD was made from a film, not from a live performance, and it is frustrating as they use all sorts of film techniques to "enhance" the story, thereby totally messing it up and missing some of the dancing. I bought it because of Eric and Toni, and I'm glad I have it, but I was quite upset with it in terms of how it is produced.

#3 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 05:15 AM

Hi!
Both of ABT's recent televised performances are not available on DVD-"Le Corsaire" and "Variety & Virtuosity".

A great way to check out dance DVDs is to go to www.amazon.com and do a search under DVD for ballet. I know there are some Nureyev ballets on DVD.

Kate

#4 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 05:39 AM

Hi!
The Acosta& Benjamin Coppelia DVD is from a performance in 2000 and was released (at least in Region 1 form) in November of 2001. (Unless they taped another version with the same dancers).

Kate

#5 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 05:52 AM

Oops, thanks Kate :) That was a typo! I fixed it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):