This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Poetry and motion: Mikhail Baryshnikov on Joseph Brodsky

Neil Munshi of the Financial Times wrote an interesting article "Poetry and motion: Mikhail Baryshnikov on Joseph Brodsky." Unfortunately, the article is likely behind a paywall. Perhaps you can read through a library subscription. The article is dated 3/17/17.

One of the first people Mikhail Baryshnikov met when he arrived in New York in 1974, newly defected from the Soviet Union, was the poet Joseph Brodsky. Both men had been invited to dinner by the cellist Mstislav Rostropovich, another exile, and their fellow guests included Salvador Dalí and prominent members of the Russian émigré scene.

“When I entered, I recognised immediately Joseph, who was sitting and smoking his cigarette,” says Baryshnikov, laughing. “At that time, he had red hair and, a little bit cocky, he said: ‘Mikhail, nice to meet you. Sit down — we have a few things to discuss.’”

This interview sets up Mikhail Baryshnikov for his performance in the UK premiere of “Brodsky/Baryshnikov”, Apollo Theatre, May 3—6.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Stecyk said:

Neil Munshi of the Financial Times wrote an interesting article "Poetry and motion: Mikhail Baryshnikov on Joseph Brodsky." Unfortunately, the article is likely behind a paywall. Perhaps you can read through a library subscription. The article is dated 3/17/17.

This interview sets up Mikhail Baryshnikov for his performance in the UK premiere of “Brodsky/Baryshnikov”, Apollo Theatre, May 3—6.

If you google "Baryshnikov on Brodsky", you should find the FT article and can read it for free!  I just did it.

Thank you for posting this.

Thanks for the Financial Times link. I liked what Baryshnikov says about Brodsky regarding their walks:

“He loved to be by the embankment, because it reminded him of Leningrad, with the water and perspective ... In his poetry, there are so many poems about water, from the north to Venice, to the Hudson, to the Caribbean. He really worked on a metaphysical level about the water: the proximity, and the colour, and the essence of it. Water is his church, Brodsky’s church, because he grew up [with the] Neva River.”

Towards the end of the piece he talks about how demanding theater is for him at this stage of his life – and that he is cursed for having been born under Stalin and ending up under Trump. "So unfair ... But I don’t want to talk about it. I’m trying to live my own life.” 

34 minutes ago, Quiggin said:

Thanks for the Financial Times link. I liked what Baryshnikov says about Brodsky regarding their walks:

Towards the end of the piece he talks about how demanding theater is for him at this stage of his life – and that he is cursed for having been born under Stalin and ending up under Trump. "So unfair ... But I don’t want to talk about it. I’m trying to live my own life.” 

I had to smile at what Baryshnikov said about being cursed, but did definitely not smile at his statement that his battery is running out. It's a very good article, and also the first I've ever read in Financial Times.  I'm hoping to see Brodsky/Baryshnikov next month in Boston.

On 12/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, Marta said:

If you google "Baryshnikov on Brodsky", you should find the FT article and can read it for free!  I just did it.

Thank you for posting this.

Thanks so much for the suggestion -- I usually get locked out of the FT.  Very happy to see this.