This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

TO DRINK

I am intrigued that it takes live performance coupled with the rather considerable effort that I put forth just to be there that opens the floodgates of experience to creative levels that I could never have hoped to realize otherwise. Only then do I begin the restorative process of "drinking" from the art form. A8 at the David Koch is invariably the prelude to the reassembling of my creative soul. Even my most conscientious efforts at study, though valuable - and there have been many - in front of YouTube's abundant dance offerings or repeated excursions into Jennifer Homans Apollo's Angels, etc., are incapable of bringing to my life the deep and abiding renewal of live performance. I will never forget Polina Semionova's timeless power and grace in Twyla Tharp's deliciously fractured Bach Partita. I was stunned and completely overwhelmed for  days. Every molecule in my body was fairly vibrating with life. Clearly, I had experienced a mountaintop of artistic achievement. But, and it is a big "BUT", had I not persevered through the entropy and drama that is, to varying degrees, integral to everyday living, sacrificed and bought my plane ticket to New York and slugged it out through the L train to the 1 train, I would have never seen that glory.

Edited by altongrimes
grammar