17 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 26 April 2000 - 11:17 AM

Yes, we are *very* interested, Andrei. Please sleep quickly (but soundly, soundly Posted Image )

Interesting that the Russian criticisms of "Manon" are exactly what the American and British criticisms were.

Thank you for the explanation of "Balanchine linoleum." I had no idea it should be taken so literally (I don't think Balanchine can really be blamed for the marly floor, though.)

I think all of us will look forward to reading what you saw and what you thought of it. Thank you!

#17 Guest_Jfan_*

Guest_Jfan_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 May 2000 - 03:57 AM

One of the interesting things in ballet, is the differences in taste between different countries. The current Royal Ballet production of 'Manon' in London has received an enthusiastic response from both critics and audiences. Although the original production seems to have received luke warm enthusiasm, through the 90s it has received much acclaim.

#18 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 May 2000 - 09:24 AM

I received the June issue of "Dancing Times" today. In Igor Stupnikov's monthly letter from St. Petersburg, he quoted Clement Crisp's opinion of the Kirov's Manon when he was interviewed by the "Moscow Commercial Daily".

"The Maryinsky company dances Manon better than the Royal Ballet does. This is how matters stand - and think what you will about me...The Maryinsky has extraordinary dancers who perfectly understand the connections among choreography, drama and emotion and they wonderfully put this connection into practice...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):