5 replies to this topic

#1 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 01:09 PM

This isn't a formal review, but a word of mouth recommendation. I caught MCB at SUNY Purchase and thought the program was solid and enjoyable. If nothing else, I don't often get to see Ashton and Balanchine performed together, and I got to see Patineurs, Sonatine and the Four Temperaments in a single program, which makes it worth the evening for me.

I think they're in New Brunswick on Thursday and going to Amherst, MA this weekend. Worth the ticket. And there are some BalletTalkers in the company!

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 05:12 PM

Miami City Ballet has been a regular (and very welcome) visitor to DC for a few years now, not only at the Kennedy Center but at George Mason University, where Villella gives master classes.

The company will be in D.C. at the end of May with the Patineurs program as well as "Jewels." Can't wait :)

#3 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 10:50 PM

Actually, they are going to be in New Brunswick on Tuesday. And I can't wait :).

[ 04-23-2001: Message edited by: Roma ]

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 22 April 2001 - 11:15 PM

Welcome, Roma (are you named for the city or the Balanchine ballet of that name? :) ) I hope you'll go to the performance and tell us about it.

#5 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 April 2001 - 06:37 AM

Thank you, Alexandra. I will :)

#6 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 24 April 2001 - 09:44 PM

I saw the Miami Ballet last week at C.W.Post College on Long Island. I particularly liked Eric Quillere in "Four Temperaments" (Phlegmatic). We also saw Villela's work in progress -- "Mambo No. 2A.M." It will eventually be a 4-act ballet ab out 4 distinct social periods and the style of dances that signify the age. We saw the 4th act and it was a real crowd pleaser. The wonderful latin rhythms were by Pedro "Cuban Pete" Aguilar. I wonder if this is Villela's answer to "Four Temperaments"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):