This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

City Ballet, 5/22, Firebird and a Debut

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 pnbdc

pnbdc

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2001 - 07:43 PM

Regarding Maria Tallchief's "Firebird"
About 4 years I ago I recorded the music of Firebird for Maria Tallchief's and Michael Maule's silent film of a performance. (This was in connection with the Balanchine Foundation, and the Dance Center at Lincoln Center. I was piano soloist at the NYCB for several years, and worked with Balanchine for about 15 years total. In rel-creating this performance, I worked with the silent movie - and painstakingly put the music with the movement - recording in the Sony Studios in NYC - with the monitor in my line of vision while recording. ) The choreography done for Maria was very different from the later version done for Karin von Aroldingen and Gelsey Kirkland. These tapes are in the Lincoln Center Library (Dance Center) of which Madeleine Nichols is Director. The later version of the dance was less technical - as Karin's costume was more elaborate complete with a long train. Mr. B re-choreographed the entire production at that time.

#17 Guest_hit-5th_*

Guest_hit-5th_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 28 May 2001 - 02:45 AM

For city ballet it isn't about is there anyone to understudy the part. it is mr. martins testing his new company members that he knows has so much potential. i mean the really special young company member like abi stafforrd, andrew veyette, and like ashley bouder these are the dancers that mr. martins test there skills.

#18 Guest_hit-5th_*

Guest_hit-5th_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 28 May 2001 - 02:51 AM

and for the dancers who think that ashley's performance quality was not up to pair this 17 year oold girl who has been in the core for less than a year was told 6hrs before curtain that she was going to be performing firebird. her technique was perfect and i definatley feel that if she performs this role again it will be even better she will be more comfotable about the steps and she will not be nervous and will be able to truly show her amazing talent of not just amazing jumps or pirouettes but her wonderful stage persence and her wonderful ablitity to make the audience happy.

#19 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 12:21 PM

I certainly agree that Bouder was stupendous in La Source, but that doesn't mean that it is a good idea to push a talent by throwing her on stage in a leading role. I didn't see her Firebird, but have heard that it was very good--but it is still not an ideal or even a halfway decent way to groom a potential ballerina.

#20 stan

stan

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 09:17 AM

Bouder substituted again for Tracey in Firebird last night. I saw Tracey earlier in the season in this role and frankly I prefer Bouder's commanding presence. There were no jitters whatsoever last night and the audience loved it.

#21 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 10:29 AM

I was sorry not to be there last night.

It was Bouder's ability to "hold the stage" that was so striking in the first performance.

(I think that some of the talent for holding the stage can be taught, but that the majority of it is innate, simply a gift that certain dancers have, though I would be interested in hearing what dancers and teachers say).

I don't blame Martins for casting her in this. On the contrary, I'm grateful. And unlike other seasons and other dancers, PM is not overusing anyone this spring season. There's no "bit push upwards" for Ashley. She's being used judiciously and she's right for this role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):