25 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Thank you for posting this awful news, pherank. It's not impossible for the company to come back. The 1% are experiencing the economic renewal you mention even if everyone else is mostly left out and there are plenty of folk in San Diego who belong to that happy minority. (Y'all have fun making that drive to L.A. to catch an opera.)  It's also possible that a culturally-minded local government could do something. SD isn't exactly known for such things, true, but I can envision a scenario where local bigwigs get together around, say, the building of a state-of-the-art performing arts venue, which SD currently lacks.

Of course, the habit of giving is built over time. And, as sandik notes in her post, the continuing economic malaise (which is very real for ordinary people), and cultural changes in who is giving to what also make a difference.

I hope at least something will be done for the orchestra in the immediate future.

#17 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Audience Slings Boos at Opera Director

http://www.utsandieg...opera-director/

...He finally left the stage so the real opera could begin, but not even Massenet could top this tragedy of a passionate, gifted man who once was the very embodiment of artistic success and community service. Now, through his own ego, miscalculations — did he really believe the board would just rubber stamp a decision affecting so many and made by so few? — and intransigence, he is seen as the exact opposite.

#18 sparklingtonic

sparklingtonic

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hi  -- I am new here but I just thought I'd chime in -- I live in New Mexico and the Symphony and Chorus here went belly up last year -- the Chorus was mostly volunteer but still a great loss -- I wish there was something that could be done to generate interest -- And look what recently happened at La Scala -- I am told that was due to poor management and in the end they managed to pull together and save both the opera and ballet but here there just does not seem to be the will --

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Welcome to the forum and the board,sparklingtonic. Chime in any time. smile.png Yes, in the end the community will has to be there. So sorry to hear about your local symphony and chorus.

#20 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Not so suprisingly, there is now an effort underway to resurrect things before it's essentially too late:

http://www.kpbs.org/...an-diego-opera/

...But at least two board members want to postpone and possibly avert the closing of the 49-year-old institution.

Carol Lazier, a board member who donated $1 million to the company earlier this month, is now chairing a committee formed to look for ways to save the opera.

Lazier said her donation has gone to pay for Opera America consultant Kevin Smith, who led the Minnesota Opera for 30 years and is credited with more than doubling attendance. Smith is taking a close look at the San Diego Opera's finances. Details about the findings along with a reorganization plan are set to be announced at Thursday's board meeting.

This will be of interest, I think, to many theatre companies, wanting to know how they can stay relevant and financially solvent in today's climate.

#21 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,252 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

I hope Smith is worth the dough.

A local press report with more details. It looks as if the idea is to carry on with a meaner, leaner company.Looks like the Campbells got canned, as it were.

On April 1, the board agreed to extend the company’s lifeline until April 29.According to company records, as of May 1, San Diego Opera will have contractual obligations to creditors of more than $8.5 million. Finding a way to pay off debts and find new donors will be the board’s chief challenge in the coming weeks.

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Looks like the Campbells got canned, as it were.

Ouch!

#23 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

The local San Diego newspaper has reported on the tempestuous meetings around the closing of the opera. This article names some names, but it's very difficult to tell exactly what people's positions are:

The board was gathered Thursday at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine to hear the proposal from Opera America. Two and a half hours after the meeting began Thursday afternoon, a visibly upset board president Cohn stormed out, refusing to confirm or deny whether she has resigned or is still affiliated with the opera. Moments later, Ian Campbell and his ex-wife, Ann Spira Campbell, deputy general director, also left without addressing reporters. Faye Wilson, a board member and former president, angrily shouted as she left the meeting, “Those idiots!” And at least eight other board members followed. Shouting could be heard from inside the room after they left and new board member Zandra Rhodes, a British fashion designer who has created sets and costumes for San Diego Opera, later described the atmosphere in the room as “chaos.”

MEANWHILE -

Kevin Smith, a field consultant with Opera America, said the board was “very open-minded and receptive to my proposal,” adding “there’s no doubt in my mind that everyone in that room, including Ian and Ann, did what they could in the best interest of the opera company.”

#24 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:29 AM

I think the main problem - everywhere - is that not everything which is truly worthwhile can "pull its own weight"; this goes for public transportation, babies, science research, education, open wild spaces, theatre and the arts. (and probably a bunch of other things, but I wanted to try to be pithy) 

We as humans in societies have to be careful that we realise and accept this and then make amends - we have to be willing to pay for things, even if we do not get immediate, monetary "rewards". 

-sigh- 

-d-

#25 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

I think the main problem - everywhere - is that not everything which is truly worthwhile can "pull its own weight"; this goes for public transportation, babies, science research, education, open wild spaces, theatre and the arts. (and probably a bunch of other things, but I wanted to try to be pithy)

We just lost a ballot measure to fund public transportation here, and as a result are looking at a bunch of cuts to bus service, so your post is very au courant for my little part of the world.

#26 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

An update: San Diego Opera's crowdfunding campaign is off to a very good start:

http://www.latimes.c...0509-story.html

And the orginal article regarding the crowdfunding effort:

http://www.latimes.c...0429-story.html

Will new fundraising techniques be the saviour of traditional stage arts? Stay tuned...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):