25 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Semenyaka's beautiful costume -o yes, it IS beautiful -- is Virsaladze's. I will never understand why people don't like his designs -- I think they're wonderful.

I can't speak for others, but for me it was his penchant for contrasting legs for men's tights. When you have a lighter side and a darker side, you see a lighter side and a heavier side. It bothers me no end, perhaps because I'm a Libra.

This was a fabulous video. Tereshkina's feet would mesmerize me, until I'd notice how the line of her back changed, and that epaulement! OMG!! Impossible to take in all of her exquisite details in a single viewing.

#17 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

But my favorite is Semenyaka -- the way she rotates and expands her arms from the shoulders in the clapping variation is one of the wonders of the world

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=L8pmvZIcXfQ

Thank you so much, Paul, for the Semenyaka clip. 

I prefer Semenyaka' clapping variation too.  She seems more comfortable with the character dance aspects, giving the performance an earthiness Tereshkina's rather 'grand ballerina' lacked.

#18 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

But my favorite is Semenyaka -- the way she rotates and expands her arms from the shoulders in the clapping variation is one of the wonders of the world

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=L8pmvZIcXfQ

I was fortunate to see that exact Raymonda performance, live at the Bolshoi Theatre. A Russian friend recorded it for me off Soviet TV and of course, a few years later when it became a commercial video, I bought the VHS and then later the DVD. I made a mistake by never keeping programs, but I think it was performed, after the final round of the 1985 Moscow Ballet Competition and the day before the awards ceremony and gala concert. Since I do not have programs to look at, my memory is that the Bolshoi Ballet performed 3 times during the competition, Nutcracker with Semenyaka and Andris Liepa, Golden Age with the same cast as the commercial video, made two years earlier and the Raymonda, which was the only one of the three which was televised, although Soviet TV did televise both nights of the final round and the awards and gala concert.

#19 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

I like Semenyaka's actual hand clapping much better - Tereshkina's seems a little dainty for the variation.  But I would argue that Tereshkina's having to fight against a pretty bad musical performance (including some horrendously out of tune notes in the winds and some unclear passagework in the piano).  Semenyaka's orchestra is in top form, and so her very musical movement is enhanced by the playing.  Poor Tereshkina - to be given such a slipshod orchestra performance!  And sadly not uncommon at all for the Mariinsky orchestra.

#20 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

I have a feeling this topic's been done before, but I have to put in my vote for a very dainty handclap as opposed to a noisy slap or hit..

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,233 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

What a great ballet -- you can't lose, 

Raymonda is a great ballet, which makes me wonder why ABT has not revived it for more than 10 years.  I'm guessing that the politically incorrect aspects of the plot may be a factor in ABT's decision. 

That's so interesting to hear...for which that was the same reason given to me by an insider of Alonso's company as why this ballet has never been staged in Cuba. 

#22 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Martine van Hamel is the best!

#23 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,233 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Martine van Hamel is the best!

I LOVE those ultra high tutus! happy.png

#24 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,233 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

But it is Pontois' Raymonda who "does it" for me in this variation...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aljJci5BlQQ/

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,124 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Pontois is channeling Nureyev in that variation.

#26 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Tereshkina dances Nikiya in Bayadere this week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):