NYBC's Nutcracker on TVTV broadcast

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 bobbi

bobbi

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:23 AM

I haven't seen any comments on this but was wondering whether anyone else saw this. I'm off on one of my periodic "rants" but not about the dancing. It's the camera work that I found fault with. Unlike the recent live movie casts from the Bolshoi -- where the camera panned back in group shots and did closeup during duos or trios -- the NYCB cameraman chopped off the choreography. Am I reading too much into this in that it looked as though NYCB doesn't trust Balanchine choreography to speak for itself? The camera work during the Waltz of the Flowers was particularly egregious. And there were even a few times where Sugar Plum's feet were cut off. I didn't go the movie cast and am wondering whether the same thing happened there too.

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:28 AM

Hi, Bobbi. We have an entire multi-page thread on this topic here:
http://balletalert.i...105#entry296151

You'll find that you're not alone in your thinking. :)

#3 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Thank you, Natalia, for redirecting bobbi (and others, I'm sure) to the ongoing thread about the NYCB broadcast/cinemacast (wd?) of Nutcracker. I'm closing this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):