The Moderators may make move posts if they are in the wrong forum or remove them if they don't meet the guidelines. Our mission is to be a discussion site; information/news is secondary to our purpose. We may also post the same information in multiple places for Administration purposes.
So that you don't read until the end only to find you shouldn't or can't post something, here are the Cliff Notes for those situations:
Please do not post or try to post:
- Info on Auditions, Pointe Shoes, Dance Classes, Summer Intensives, Making Tutus and Other Costumes, Parenting Dancers. You will need to go to Ballet Talk for Dancers. We are separate boards -- our purpose is to discuss classical ballet -- and you will need to register there. BT4D is a treasure, and we are proud to be their sister board.
- Unofficial News. In short, this is any news for which you don't have a citation from an official source: ex: a company, a critic in the mainstream press, an artist. For more info, please click here.
- General News: General news is posted in the Links forum on the Links thread dedicated to the date published. Please do not duplicate this information unless you are planning to discuss the article.
- Reviews from Critics: Reviews appear in the Links forum. Please do not post them in the Company forums, unless you've seen the performance and have a comment on a review. The Company forums are for reviews from our members.
- Duplicate Posts. There are a few exceptions -- if you want to comment on articles in Links, or if it's a "Heads Up" (please see below) -- but, as a rule, we will remove them without notice.
- Upcoming Regular Season Performances: These are listed in the Calendar for major companies, which you can access by clicking "Calendar" from the menu under the logo, and the week's Calendar listings are displayed at the bottom of the homepage. (Screen shots below).
- Links/Calendar Events: Permissions to these forums are restricted.
- Quotes over 250 Words or In Direct Violation of Copyright. We will edit/delete long/whole article quotes and posts that violate copyright.
Where to Post:
- When You Join, Tell Us About Yourself: --> Welcome.
If you've just registered and have posted, and you can't find the post on the board, chances are you did not click the confirmation email we sent. (The "Group" in your profile will be "Users Awaiting Email Confirmation".) Please check your mailbox/spam folder and complete registration. Unfortunately, your post won't show up immediately after your Group changes.
- To Announce Ballet-related Events like TV/Radio/Internet Broadcasts, Tours, Guest Appearances, Book Signings, Master Classes, New Websites and Updates. : --> Heads Up!
- Discussions about Articles in Links:
*To Expand on a Review:
*General Ballet Issues: --> Ballet News and Issues
*Single company: --> Company (Sub) Forums under the appropriate region. (If there is no Company Forum, in the "Other..." forum for the region)
*Multiple companies: Multiple Company Reviews and Events OR Galas, Competitions, Festivals, Symposia, and Commemorations
*Guest artists: Company (Sub) Forum for the company that produced the ballet. It is fine to create a post in the Guest Artist's Company Forum to link to the discussion.
*Aesthetic Issues: --> Aesthetic Issues
*Discussion of a Critic: --> Writings on Ballet
*Ballet Movies, TV Appearances, Ballet Films, Ballet DVD's and VHS: --> Ballet Videos, Films, Broadcast Performances, Photos, and Interviews
- Season's Announcements: Company (Sub) Forum
- Discussions About Special Company Events/Presentations, TV/Radio/Internet Broadcasts, Upcoming Ballet-Related Exhibitions: As appropriate by subject --> Company (Sub) Forum OR Ballet Videos, Films, Broadcast Performances, Photos, and Interviews OR Galas, Competitions, Festivals, Symposia, and Commemorations OR Multiple Company Reviews and Events
- Your Reviews:
*For single company performances: --> Company (Sub) Forum OR Recent Ballet Performances*
*For multiple company performances/galas: --> Multiple Company Reviews and Events OR Recent Ballet Performances*
- Critiques of Published Critics: --> Writings on Ballet
- Tours: --> Company (Sub) Forum
- Obituaries: --> Ballet News and Issues > Obituaries (sub-forum)
- Info about Dancers:
*Current Company Dancers: --> Company (Sub) Forum
*Current Freelancers: --> Dancers
*Retired Dancers: --> Is the dancer renowned across the region or world? If "yes" --> Dancers. If renowned locally or your favorite corps dancer or soloist, we may not move it, but you'll probably get more traffic on the Company (Sub) Forum.
- If It's Ballet-Related and You're Not Sure Where to Put It: --> Everything Else Ballet. If we find a more appropriate place, we'll move it for you.
- Dance Other Than Classical Ballet: --> Modern and Other Dance
*We often move these into Company (Sub) Forums or Multiple Company Reviews and Events after several months.