Dance in America: Choreography by Balanchine DVDout of synch sound...?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

The free video player VLC has in it's advanced options the ability to speed up or slow down the timing of the audio to the video. I use this program to play all my video files and dvds. ...

Many thanks, cantdance, indeed it has, once you get into it. My version of VLC is a little different from 2008, but when I finally got to the Audio page on the Audio tab of the Preferences panel and entered "-1000" for Audio desynchronization compensation (and restarted playback), that took care of the timing problem for the whole disc!

Not only that, but selecting "Equalizer" on the Window menu and setting the sliders near maximum in the deep bass shading uniformly to minimum in the mid treble does a lot to give the sound body and take away much of the piercing quality I complained about above. To me, instruments in the orchestra become much more audible than before, and with what you hear now clarified and synchronized with what you see, the performances come into much better focus than I have previously experienced from this DVD (Nonesuch 79838, with Tzigane, excerpts from Divertimento No. 15 and Jewels, The Four Temperaments, and Stravinsky Violin Concerto).

(Remember to reset the Preferences to play the DVDs which don't require adjustments. If you're going to play the other Choreography by Balanchine one, though, you might want to reset only the desynchronization compensation, manually, and keep the Equalizer tone compensation settings.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):