This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

American Academy of Arts and Sciences inducts newest membersCongratulations Edward

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iwatchthecorps

iwatchthecorps

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

"Cheers to arts, sciences
The Cambridge-based American Academy of Arts and Sciences inducted its newest members - the 229th class - Saturday. In a nod to academy founder John Adams, new inductees James Earl Jones and Emmylou Harris read letters written by John and Abigail Adams. (The night before, the academy honored a slew of celebrated scribes, including Jamaica Kincaid, James Salter, Gish Jen, Denis Donoghue, and Galway Kinnell.) Saturday’s other inductees included California’s chief justice Ronald George and Miami City Ballet chief executive Edward Villella. Among the guests were several college presidents, former Citizens Bank chief executive Larry Fish, Hong Kong filmmaker Wong Kar-wai, critic Stanley Crouch, MIT economist and MacArthur award winner Esther Duflo, and Partners in Health founder Paul Farmer"

Boston.com

#2 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

When I met Mr Villella at the Fireside Chat two weeks ago, he mentioned that he had been asked to give the speech for this honor. I wonder what he spoke about!

#3 cahill

cahill

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

The speech has been posted on the Miami City Ballet Blog.

Read the speech here

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thanks to all who have reported on this story -- -- and to Jack Reed, who broke the news about the award earlier. And thanks, cahill, for finding that link.

Fifty years ago, when I started my career as a dancer, it seemed clear to me, as it still does now, that to live with an understanding of music, dance, art, elegance, and nobility could be a point of departure for a life role. The art of life.

A classy man, a great artist. He really does try to instill these values -- and the work ethic that sustains them -- to his dancers. Congratulations, Mr. Villella.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):