This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The Ballets of Ludwig Minkus (by Robert Letellier)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sejacko

sejacko

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I've just ordered my copy of this book, published last year I believe..

Has anyone else read it?

There is a list of contents plus the introduction (very tantalising!) from this book here.

Seems Minkus is now finally being taken seriously (in some quarters at least).. I hope this book lives upto expectations. The very fact it was written post-Bayadere Reconstruction alone should make for fascinating reading. Now we just need a similar book on the ballets of Delibes (and perhaps those of Adam) to stand alongside this one and Roland John Wiley's invaluable one on Tchaikovsky's..

#2 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

many thanks for this info.
i had heard about this book then promptly forgot that it was out.
i see - thanks again to you post and its link to the table of contents - that the subjects include the little MLADA - the ballet that seems to have links, at least staging-wise to the way(s) in which Petipa eventually shaped The Kingdom of the Shades in LA BAYADERE.
i look forward to seeing what all this book offers.
i see the author is a Meyerbeer scholar with what seems to be sound research to his credit.
little by little, the sands of russian ballet history trickle down to us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):