This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Dancing the Role Tonight will be..."

I have to admit, for certain ballets, I will seek out the casting and go specifically for the dancers, not necessarily the ballet.

And when I get there and there's either a slip in the program or the announcement comes on, my stomach does do a bit of a flip.

The whole experience has definitely opened my eyes to dancers though, that I may not have seen before and how interpretations vary from person to person.

I try not to look anymore at casting and just go and see what happens, after all, even the same dancer never gives the same exact performance!

I am always much more interested in the choreography than the individual dancers. Therefore, I don't tend to care who is dancing a role. There are exceptions though. I would like to avoid seeing Julie Kent in Giselle again, if I can help it. And I always like to see as many different Auroras as possible.

I usually try to see certain people in certain roles. There are certain dancers I try to avoid. Sometimes it is impossible. Last season I bought several ABT tickets hoping to see certain dancers, and each time I got Julie Kent instead. I am NOT one of her admirers and usually try to avoid her performances whenever possible. I have a limited budget and so want to see those dancers who I feel will perform the role the best. Sometimes, esp. with NYCB, one gets to see a new face unexpectedly performing a role. Sometimes that can be an eye opener.